Delivering real estate financing solutions for more than half a century
NorthMarq began in the 1960s as a financing business within a holding company of mortgage banking, real estate and insurance companies owned by the Hamm Family. From our first office in St. Paul, Minnesota, the company has expanded into a firm with offices across the country and evolved from a strictly residential mortgage banker to a full-service company skilled in capital solutions, multifamily investment sales, and servicing for all commercial property types.
In 1999, the company was acquired by the Pohlad family when the Hamm family sold its operating companies. By early 2000, NorthMarq began a run of 13 acquisitions that added 25 offices and 200 employees to the company. The largest of those acquisitions was Legg Mason Real Estate Services, which included 17 offices on the East Coast and a $10 billion servicing portfolio.
To diversify the company’s platform, NorthMarq acquired a 40% stake in AmeriSphere Multifamily Finance L.L.C., an Omaha-based Fannie Mae DUS lender, in 2004. In 2015, NorthMarq acquired the remaining interest in AmeriSphere and began operating it as a wholly owned subsidiary called NorthMarq Capital Finance.
Other acquisitions include:
- Dallas-based Askew/Reese Investment Co. and San Francisco-based Trowbridge, Kieselhorst & Co., both in 2000;
- James R. Poole & Co. in New Jersey in 2004;
- First Monroe of Rochester, NY, in 2006;
- Baird & Warner Real Estate Finance in Chicago in 2007;
- Crouse & Associates in Raleigh, NC, in 2008;
- New England Realty Resources in Boston in 2012;
- Quest Commercial Capital Corporation in Cincinnati in 2014;
- Western Capital Realty Advisors in Salt Lake City and Daisley Ruff Financial Corporation in Omaha in 2017;
- Multifamily investment sales teams in Phoenix, Dallas, and Kansas City in 2018, and Los Angeles, San Diego, and Atlanta in 2019; and
- Texas Realty Capital in Austin, TX, and Kinghorn, Driver, Hough & Co. (KDH) in Houston, TX, in 2019.
The company’s expansion has also included opening new offices in cities across the country to provide a national platform for talented industry experts. Today NorthMarq is one of the largest commercial real estate mortgage banking firms in the U.S. with more than 30 offices and more than 500 employees who carry on our legacy of providing the highest-quality service to real estate investors, developers and lenders for more than 50 years.