Delivering real estate financing solutions for more than half a century
NorthMarq Capital began in the 1960s as a financing business within a holding company of mortgage banking, real estate and insurance companies owned by the Hamm Family. From our first office in St. Paul, Minnesota, the company has expanded into a firm with 35 offices across the country and evolved from a strictly residential mortgage banker to a full-service company skilled in financing, servicing and equity for all commercial property types.
In 1999, the company was acquired by the Pohlad family when the Hamm family sold its operating companies. By early 2000, NorthMarq Capital began a run of 13 acquisitions that added 25 offices and 200 employees to the company. The largest of those acquisitions was Legg Mason Real Estate Services, which included 17 offices on the East Coast and a $10 billion servicing portfolio.
To diversify the company’s platform, NorthMarq acquired a 40% stake in AmeriSphere Multifamily Finance L.L.C., an Omaha-based Fannie Mae DUS lender, in 2004.
Other acquisitions include:
- Dallas-based Askew/Reese Investment Co. and San Francisco-based Trowbridge, Kieselhorst & Co., both in 2000;
- James R. Poole & Co. in New Jersey in 2004;
- First Monroe of Rochester, N.Y., in 2006;
- Baird & Warner Real Estate Finance in Chicago in 2007;
- Crouse & Associates in Raleigh, N.C., in 2008;
- New England Realty Resources in Boston in 2012; and
- Quest Commercial Capital Corporation in Cincinnati in 2014.
The company’s expansion has also included opening new offices in cities across the country to provide a national platform for talented industry experts. Today NorthMarq Capital is one of the largest commercial real estate mortgage banking firms in the U.S. with 35 offices and more than 400 employees who carry on our legacy of providing the highest-quality service to real estate investors, developers and lenders for more than 50 years.